Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I am so afraid to write this BUT both of my kids are sleeping at the same time! Yippee! I just cleaned the windows and changed the laundry - I fell like a million bucks!



Last night I snuck out for 45 minutes after the kids were asleep to go to see a friend off who I met in a Book Club. I used to read a fair bit but now I have children! Anyway, I wanted to see the group and wish Linene well. It turned out I got more than I bargained for - it was good for the soul. The group of women is very different and therefore bring different perspectives and life experiences to the group. It's great.



Anyway, two things I took away from the evening I want to share...



1. I asked one of the Grandma's in our group - What do you see as the biggest difference between your generation of moms and mine? She smiled, she has a grown daughter and a grandchild. She said that we worry too much about the small things.



"Like what?" I probed.



"Well, like brushing teeth and eating donuts." This reminded me of the poem When I am an Old Woman, please read it if you have not - it's brilliant. Anyway, she said that she thinks our generation is so worried about whether or not our kids have all the food groups at all the meals, whether or not they brush twice a day for two minutes etc. She said that she regrets not spending less time worrying about little things and enjoying herself more. I think I should heed this advice.



2. And this one from another mom - of 4!!! Our first borns will never remember life before siblings. Therefore, new mamas, don't stress about how your first born is handling the new baby so much. Yes, be considerate of their feelings, but really they will never remember - providing the age gap isn't too large - that they were once the centre of the universe! I thought this was another great nugget as I often fret over how my little Hud is doing.

And now, I must maximize this time. What shall I do: sleep, clean, read - oh the possibilities are endless. I think I will have whatever color Popsicle I want, on the couch and not share one bite! I am going to smell the roses.

No comments: